So this is what I’ve been up to in sewing class lately.
After my fitting fiasco with my previous project, I thought I’d give myself an easier job of it this time around.
So I’m making a kaftan!
Well, a kaftan dress actually. The short one on the right, to be precise:
Hardly any fitting required! BONUS!
The pattern couldn’t be simpler. Well, actually, it could…
Lazy so-and-so that I am, I found a short cut!
You see that diagram in the corner of the pattern envelope that shows that it has only two main pattern pieces? Well I managed to reduce that still further by cutting the front pattern piece on a fold, rather than cutting two separate fronts and sewing them together.
As well as reducing the number of seams to sew, this also saves me the challenge of matching up my fabric’s pattern along the centre front seam (and to be honest I’m not even sure I would’ve had enough fabric to do this).
I am using my free gift fabric:
As you can see, it has a vertical stripe, which can be a tricky beast.
So any avoidance of matching up the stripes – especially right down the front – is to be welcomed with open arms and hallelujahs as far as I’m concerned.
That’s not my only challenge though. The fabric is a synthetic crêpe and slippery as an eel when it comes to manouvreing it under the sewing machine. It also doesn’t press easily like cotton does.
We shall see how it turns out.
I am not entirely sure that I am a kaftan person.
But one thing’s certain…
I’m loving the learning journey!