Some fabrics I find incredibly difficult to cut into. I hoard them away and rarely even look at them.
But not this one.
Having snipped into it straight away to make a modflowska cushion (thank you Sue for naming them!) the second cut was not so difficult.
Especially as the request came from someone wanting a special present for a friend.
My cushion commission is winging its way off to its recipient as I type this.
I hope she likes the amazing fabric as much as I do.
And if she doesn’t – well, perhaps she could send me it back?
I do hate the dreariness of winter, weather-wise.
Some days it doesn’t seem to get properly light until it is nearly time for it to get dark again.
And it’s not even the shortest day here for months yet!
Heaven knows how Scandinavians cope with their dark winters! No wonder the phrase “scandinavian style” conjures up bright florals and lots of white. They must need them as an antidote.
I dream of sunshine. Yearn for it, in fact.
So this sunny fabric that arrived the other day is most welcome, bringing some blessed relief to the drear winter months.
What an instant pick-me-up!
It’s arrival was immediately followed by another…
Our tickets to Australia, to visit my sister and her family, have (after quite a lot of booking trauma) finally arrived!
Now that’s what I call proper instant sunshine.
You may remember, or you may not, that I was in something of a quandary over what to do with this flowerpot fabric.
It has a right way up and a wrong way up.
It has stripes, so it needs careful cutting.
And it is rather nice, so I didn’t want to waste any of it, or make a mess of it.
No rushing in, willy nilly, and slicing it up any which way I fancied. That way lies only tears, regret and much wringing of hands.
So, in the end, I took the simple approach.
I straightened up the edges with the rotary cutter and made the whole piece into a large (60 x 40 centimetre) cushion cover.
Otherwise known as taking the easy way out.
You can find my flowerpot cushion cover in my Etsy shop.
After all my fiddling about with buttons recently I had an urge to get back to some actual sewing.
I have had these two red fabrics (that I absolutely love!) in my possession for, oh, ages.
I’ve fondled them often. And then put them back in the cupboard.
But it was time to let go.
It felt really good to get the rotary cutter out and whizz them up into these cushion covers.
A bit of a rest seems to have done my sewing machine good too; she ran like a dream, with no sign of those thread-snapping or Speedy Gonzalez quirks that can occasionally prove so vexatious.
We’ve been together a long time, my Bernette and I. Like any long-standing couple, we have our ups and downs.
But it was lovely to see her in fine fettle.
And I think she’s done my fabrics justice.
More birdie brooches have landed!
There are beautiful new settings for this second flock; the pale wood (my personal favourite) is sycamore, the heart bird is made from satinwood.
And there’s a new selection of vintage fabrics, too!
Just got to get to grips with some new glue for the pins now.
It involves mixing two sorts of chemical gloop together to make a super-strong epoxy adhesive. Hopefully the brooch pins are all that will get stuck – and not my fingers!
If you are interested in purchasing any of this second flock of birdie brooches, do leave me a comment, or contact me via my commissions page and I can set up a listing for you in my Etsy shop, where some of these birdies will be roosting shortly.
The rest will be found nesting on my stall.
The birdies cost £15 each, plus postage. I’m happy to post worldwide.
Today’s featured fabric from my stash is this lovely barkcloth panel.
I bought it on ebay some time ago and have not seen anything else quite like it.
It has that wonderfully tactile barkcloth texture.
It’s a little bit scandi (those birds!), a little bit folky, a little bit mid-century.
And a lot nice.